Tuesday, June 15, 2010

WHAT'S IN A NAME? AND HOW DO YOU CHOOSE ONE?

We are having a really hard time this go round choosing a name for Baby X; with Aiden it was a no brainer! We had that name picked out I think since the day Brian and I got together. I taught a child named Aiden one summer and simply fell in love with it. With both my pregnancies everyone always thinks I am having a boy...and so far, I am 2 for 2 with girls. I guess this time I really thought it might be a boy and we were all set with a boy name. Now here we are just shy of my 6th month of pregnancy and still no confirmed girl name. We have floaters ones that we think we love but nothing we LOVE together when we add a middle name. So what's really in a name? My full name is Elizabeth Josephine Thomas. NOW, if you know me...do I look like that name? I don't feel like I "look" like that name, but none the less that's the name that was given to me.

Now let's talk judgement because lord knows there is a shit load of that going around. Do you choose a name that you and your husband and/or partner love? EVEN if you know that everyone else will think you are nuts? I mean you don't want a name that is too strange, because your kid needs to live with that name FOREVER! Do you use a family name? Name after the dead or the living? If you are me, you do both...which is controversy within itself. What about a name you love but don't love the common nickname, then what? In this day and age people use names as personal self expression so you have to be careful that the name is for the kid and not just for you! I am also not a huge fan of masculine names followed by a feminine middle name (totally personal of course). I would much rather it be all or none...

So, there you have it. Our baby in my belly is still named, BABY X. If you have any suggestions please do send them along...but only if they are good ones! So not into naming my kid after a fruit! HA!

More to come kids more to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment