Thursday, June 24, 2010

"STAND AND DELIVER"

Why is it that every time a pregnant person gets on a bus or a subway (I can really only speak for NYC), hardly anyone stands up?

It is always the ones that don't stand up, you particularly think should. The able bodied men, the perfectly fine women, etc. Why on earth is that? I have to say before I was married, had a kid, etc. I always stood to offer children, the elderly and pregnant women a seat. I especially think that men who are in their 30's, 40's, 50's should absolutely STAND THE HELL UP! I mean for the most I would assume most of them have children themselves, which means they are connected to wives that bore their children; which in turn means they were at some point pregnant. It is really irony at its best.

Case in point. Yesterday I walked onto the bus and it was pretty crowded. It was 90 degrees in NYC and I was TIRED from the day. Needless to say I could have used a seat to sit in. I was standing over a man and next to a woman who presumably could have totally stood up, BUT they did not. I stood there looking like a complete ass b/c you are barely able to contain your yourself from bumping into people, as the bus stops and moves and moves and stops and moves and stops! Finally one woman sitting in front of me says (and I am dead serious), "Excuse me there is an open seat over there?" NOW A. the seat was all the way in the front of the crowded bus and I was near the back B. it would have taken me a long time to get there and really by the time I did get up there, someone would have already taken it! C. what the hell was wrong with her perfectly fine legs that she can't get her ass up off the seat, to let me sit? AAAAmzing!!!

What about the women that look at you like you are nuts when you accidentally hit them with your bag, because you are being tossed around like a salad! Or the men that pretend to not see you while they bury their noses in a book! OR my all time personal favorite the ones that pretend that they are sleeping and then pop up when it's their stop. I LOVE those people, LOVE...

Bottom line is get up when you see someone who is pregnant or for anyone who needs a seat I should really say, unless you can't get up for whatever reason . Make it known when others can get up and they don't, open your mouth and say something. People like me will really appreciate it.

That's it for the week! Have a fantastic weekend with your family, friends, dog, whomever...

xoxo
BTC

No comments:

Post a Comment