Tuesday, December 18, 2012

ACCEPTING WHO YOU ARE...

Having 2 little girls is THE single most amazing thing that has ever happened to me! I love everything about identifying how they feel, why they feel certain ways, etc. simply because I am a girl too. When having girls, there are things that come along with them...you can't always prepare for; and that is sometimes scary b/c you too had those same feelings at some point in your life. Some people may still feel the way they did at a young age. Insecurities are just part of growing up and certainly part of being a girl. I know what it is like to not look like any of your peers, to not have the same skin, hair, etc. Having 2 parents that look very different from each other...all of those things. I remember having friends who suck ass parents would like at my like they were from outer space! On MORE than on occasion. I wish I knew what I know now, then. I wish I knew all of those things because really those would not have been my friends. And of course there is a reason they are not my friends, today. All of those feelings of who am I? Where do I belong? Do I fit in? Are normal...I am now having to deal with some of those same issues with my own child. I think daily how can I help her along this journey? How can I let her know that people can be cruel and mean but in the end most of those people are not those who sit at home, with no career, no real meaning to their life...but $. How can I tell her that those are the people that the teachers HATED, and we are the ones that the teachers loved! How can I express that they will be friends with the SAME "type" for the rest of their lives, and never know anything MORE than that. They will end up marrying the SAME type of guy, same clothes, same cars, houses...all kind of a cookie cutter world. They will never know any adversity b/c they will never open themselves up to different things. How can I say this, in a way that a 6 year old can understand? On a lighter note, I WILL tell her the many lovely friends she will make along the way. The ones that will last a lifetime and be by her side when you think you cannot possibly get up. The ones that will fly to the ends of the earth to make whatever you are going through hurt less...that they won't care how much money you have or don't have, what you look like or what kind of car you drive. They will simply love you for YOU! Those are the things I will tell her...and then one day you will wake up and realize those other people are not even an after thought. You end up feeling badly for them b/c they ARE so limited. It does not always hurt as much as it may hurt now, but you too will get through this like we all did. Food for thought on "Terrible Tuesday"... xoxo BTC

No comments:

Post a Comment