Friday, April 12, 2013

COLORS LIKE A RAINBOW...

Why is it that everyone feels as thought they are affiliated with a certain group? Why can't we all be friends? Why can't we all get along? Why can't we be like colors of a rainbow and...I don't know, Mix? I don't know exactly which group I belong to? I have friends of all different cultures, religions, etc. I don't feel more comfortable with any of them than others; probably why they ARE my best friends. I never went to a camp or a school that was more of one only (a race a religion; never paid attention to color or religion at all to be perfectly honest unless the conversation was about me. I know that this would infuriate some b/c they DID identify with a group and can't quite understand why I didn't. BUT the truth of the matter is I don't know if I would have ever wanted to be just ONE thing. At a young age I had trouble identifying with people b/c there were not a lot of kids like me; and at times wanted to be just ONE thing. Sometimes it just looked easier to be White and Jewish or White and Catholic or Black and Catholic, etc. I always was taught to look at people for WHO they are never what they are. I don't want my kids to feel like they would HAVE to choose one religion or one culture to identify with, I would hope they would have the ability to be a part of it all. Question is, can others accept them that way? I am not so sure. When will we live in a time when everyone can just mix together? Schools, camps, towns, etc. Now it IS such a different time than when I was growing up. There are SO many mixed couples, religions, races, I can't even imagine what it was like for my parents. God BLESS them for taking such a huge leap, at such a crazy time. I have NO business ever making comments about how hard it can be, they did it in the 60's and 70's! I don't know...I get infuriated sometimes when people say they are so wrapped up in their religion, probably due in part to the fact that I don't really understand why they are; not always a good thing either. I can't think it's BAD that they do these things, it's a part of who they are...I am just happy it's not a part of who I am. Food for thought...have a lovely weekend! XOXO BTC

No comments:

Post a Comment